Friday, June 17, 2005

Auf weidersen Muchen!

My last full day in Munich (or Muchen, now that I'm practically a local ...) was busy. I added two new phrases to my repetoire: Sprecken sie English? and Ikh ferstaye nihkt! (I don't understand). Please don't mind the atroscious spelling, but I've since buried my phrasebook at the bottom of my backpack and am still trying to stop saying Ja instead of Si, now that I'm in Rome ...
I did the Dachau concentration camp memorial tour and not sure what to say really. Its pretty overwhelming. This year marks 50 years since the camp was liberated, and that still seems really recent to me. I'm glad I went, I'm glad I know, but not sure what I can do with this knowledge now.
From there I visited Lenbachaus. Its a mock-Etruscan villa (I only found out what that meant when I went there too, it means that orange-yellow style Tuscan villa) its a gallery filled with some old German art I've never heard of, a few new artists/exhibitions and one area filled with the work of Blaue Rieter group, which includes the work of Wasily Kandinsky who I studied in Year 12 Art. Had similar feelings as when viewing famous art pieces at the Met. Also strange as all descriptions in German! Was good experience in the universal language of art! But with the new work and work unfamiliar to me, it was a bit frustrating. I guess its the designer in me wanting to know the 'brief' to understand the 'concept'.
Munich was pretty amazing. Being my first European city, I couldn't get over all the huge old buildings and historical stuff. All the information I had was about 5 pages I'ld printed from the Lonely Planet website before I left, but it was great just to wander around, looking. There's one square, Koningsplatz with 3 huge Roman-style buildings with columns and everything on 3 sides. Grass in the centre and cars (all small, not like NY) and bikes zooming through. It still feels surreal. I was sitting there with this amazing view in front of me, old German men playing chess on massive boards in a park next to me and I could hear someone singing opera from a nearby music and art school (also in a massive old building).
Was getting a bit lonely tho, so decided to give in and speak to one of the many many Americans staying at my hostel. Ended up with a small group, we got some food, watched the soccer (Australia v Germany, no comment), tried to find a beer hall, all closed, tried to find an Irish pub, not very busy, so ended up in all places A BLOODY AUSTRALIAN PUB! Glad to find a couple of other Aussies tho. Comforting to hear a normal accent!
Early start the next day on the train back to the airport. Also experienced the universal language of getting-frustrated-with-bloody-ticket-machines! This woman explained to me (in German) that the machine didn't accept 20 euro notes, but somehow I understood.
Was v v tired on plane due to only averaging 3 hours sleep for past few nights, but now due to actually being out and doing stuff (oh, and hostel dorm snorers) rather than my usual insomnia. Was too excited to sleep tho, and amazing view of the Alps and my first glimpse of Italy etc

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home