Friday, June 17, 2005

When in Rome ...

... initial excitement of being in Rome soon wore off when I arrived in the city at the Stazione Termini. It was huge and bustling and busy and hot and people shoving and being rude and streets not well named, and streets running in strange directions to each other and my backpack being really heavy and me still being tired and me getting confused and lost and people trying to sell my knock-off designer bags and when finally finding my hostel me having to wait for an hour and a half before I could actually go to my room and all I wanted to do was have a shower and sleep.
Eventually got my shower and sleep, but mood still not good. Decided to wander around. Had some people ask me questions, but I didn't understand. Then tried to call family friend Liliana who I will be staying with for a few days. She wasn't answering but the phone kept giving me a recorded message in Italian, and I didn't understand. And whilst in the phone box this woman just stops right outside and pulls down her pants and does the longest wee imaginable and I'm feeling like WHAT IS GOING ON?! WHAT AM I DOING HERE?!
Ended up walking back to my hostel and must have looked awful, cos this waiter at a restaurant I passed asked me what was wrong "you shouldn't be sad, you're in Rome!" And I'm all like: "I know! It's my first day in Rome and I was so excited and now I'm just tired and frustrated and sad and lonely!" Anyway, he's taken pity on me, brought me a glass of champagne to celebrate my first night in Rome, tissues (I must have looked like I was about to cry), found me a table and chair, a cigarette (yeah, I don't smoke, but I was lonely and sad in Rome, why the hell not!?) and a delicious serve of Tiramisu. However, the best thing Mimo (yeah, seriously) gave me was this advice: it is better to be alone, that to be in bad company.
After this, I felt a bit better, declined his offer to accompany him to a club after he finished work (kindly), went back to my hostel and slept very very well. Dare il benvenuto a Roma!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home